Will the IRS or state take your tax refund due to delinquent student loans?

Yes the state can take back your refund under the circumstance of your student loans defaulting particularly because it will be one source of repaying your loans. The IRS doesn't take your refund, but instead forwards it to the department in a way to satisfy the debt you owe. For instance, the Department of Education has the ability to transfer your federal/state tax refund to the Department of Treasury in order to pay off as much of your debt as possible. They do this because they'd rather settle debt quickly rather than give out tax refunds to people who normally default on their loans.

Find Accountants in Detroit

Bottom Line Accounting & Tax Servic
33028 Hampshire St
Westland, MI 48185
H & R Block Eastern Tax Serv, Inc
13316 E Jefferson
Detroit, MI 48215
Rovin Cpa & Company Pllc
34383 Parkgrove Drive
Westland, MI 48185
LA Solutions
7601 Dix Ave.
Detroit, MI 48209
Fiesta Insurance & Tax Service
34821 Blackfoot Ln
Westland, MI 48185
Kma Individual Tax Service
18440 Avon
Detroit, MI 48219