What taxes does a resident alien who married an illegal alien pay?

Even if you are a resident alien or a resident citizen, you are treated equally in terms of taxes, as long as the individual has passed all screening tests and green card evaluation. All income you, as a resident alien, receive is taxable just like any ordinary citizen of the United States. Your property is taxed, your estate is taxed (if you have one), and you still have to pay sales tax on all purchases. If the resident alien happens to be married to an illegal alien, then what you would need to do is file an application for your illegal spouse to receive an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and that should allow you to file for your taxes jontly as a resident married alien couple. The one thing you cannot do is claim the Earned Income Credit (EIC) because you both are still considered aliens, and the IRS does not give out EICs to aliens.

Related Tax Questions